Thursday, January 23, 2014

Getting started...

Today is the first day of the rest of my life, and I best be getting to it.

      I have spent the last three days in bed battling round two of an upper respiratory infection/flu. Two weeks ago I battled round one, and fought it for five days before I felt some what human again. Apparently not all was well, as the last few days have proven. And my general lack of good health a second time in as many weeks sent me searching for a medical explanation. I remember thinking to myself when I got on the scale at the doctor's office "Wow I have lost 5 pounds!" Of course a diet of watered down apple juice and orange Gatorade does little to replenish calories lost to the horrors brought on by being sick. It is not really the way I want to lose weight, and I would not recommend it to anyone. But, it seems to be the only way I have lost any weight in some time.  My scales have been hovering around 170 pounds for the last several months. I do not look good, nor do I feel good at this weight.

     I have let my busy schedule and the stress in my life take control over me. Between graduate school and my work as a nurse manager consuming all my free time, free will, and energy, there was little time for anything else. Not to mention the stress was probably upping my cortisol levels...and my waist line! I  have since stepped down from my position in management, back to the floor for patient care. Yes I am a nurse. And yes, I know better. But here lately I have been caring for everyone but myself! I have taken the first step in ridding the excess stress in my life. I am taking the first step in finding a healthier and happier me. I want to be a role model for my patients. Even if the first steps are baby steps...

     Today I am going to try and just make it through work; I am recovering from being ill, remember... But I will park at the back of the parking lot, and see if I can at least make it up one flight of stairs before I have to resort to taking the elevator the rest of the way up. So it is just small steps today.

 BUT, I CAN DO THIS!
                                                         (Feeling optimistic)
And, no I will not hide my face...or body.
Yes I am over weight with two if not possibly three chins!
I claim it!
I did it!
And I will undo it!
Just watch me!
 Blessings to your on your own personal journeys...  KR

No comments:

Post a Comment